[at-l] ten, X, diec (how do you write it in spanish?)

spurred on by kelly, i will tiredly makeup and letterworderize the next
things (stuff).

two things first if i may, before picking up, scooping out, helping
transport, two hikers?

--------- the place that helped a unprepared hikerguy with water and
directions is the Horton Center, a Christian camp.  thank you!  and no i do not mind
staying outside while the girls are eating dinner...

------ my spelling.   i aint usink spell check, and i am writing without
preparation (a la kerouac), but when i see that i wrote "through" instead of
"threw" (for just one example) i'm embarrassed. i just wanted to say that i am a
good speller, and DO know a word or two and how it's used.

-they said they'd been there a long time.
-that they saw i was from outta state, which usually    means no ride.
-that i was from THEIR state so they hoped i would. they live in allentown,
an hour from me.
-they met on the PCT. this came up when i mentioned i follow journals of Yogi
and Belcher on the pac. crest
-they got married and have taken road and hiking trips
-they had just hiked mt washington and were amazed by a cog RR letting so
many people out. they could barely get to the summit for a picture.
-they are Red Man and Tumbleweed.
-i told them of our trip, by then abour 2000. miles. i told them of my modest
accomplishment of tuckerman
-i got my picture took with them when we dropped them off in gorham
-they and we were equally thrilled with the meeting!
i was so excited and glad to be able to help. the place they read about in
the AT Companion had no vacancies, but gave them the name of another Gorhamian
place and that worked out.

gorham, like lincoln, is surrounded by high mountians, in G's case the
Presidentials. what a back drop.

and YES i got my lobster roll sandwich (4.99) and it was good. also, i ate
blueberries right off a bush (very unjerrylike) in Grafton Notch.

we left the time share early sunday morning, 8/3/03 EDT. we drove through
maine on small roads, getting lost a few times.  our goal was Pemaquid Point
Lighthouse.  we took rt 1 (maine to florida) past blueberry-selling-stands and got
there.  amazing rockiness, stripes of gray and white, hard to walk on. the
ocean shooting up into the air as we and others sat on giant rocks and cliffs
watching the scene.

then US 1 south to freeport, and the Desert of Maine. could anything BE more
opposite than the rocky coast than this?  sand of all different shades,
occassional trees and dunes, an area with lichens and mosses, much like the kind i
enjoyed so much on the hikes i took.

hungrily (us), foggily (the landscape) we ate dinner at ogonquit, and drove &
drove, stopping once for a 1 hour nap at a service area.  again the NYC area
sucked us in like a black hole.  mindy was lost in the Bronx (and thus i too
was) until we saw a sign for the 3rd st bridge into manhattan. i led mindy
through (or is it threw) the 4am City, the skyscapers visible, to the holland
tunnel and the NJ turnpike took us home...

i hope some of you enjoyed reading this. i enjoyed telling you about these
things i was part of.

jerry