[at-l] aint i up to 8 ?

...the opposite of jan's was a place called the rebel diner, also in bethel.
jan's outta have a better name, an we stumbled into that place cause the
"Crossroads"  had the name but was vetoed by mindy and diane after a look-see.

the rebel diner, said the ad, was so called cause :
-  they do whatever the ____ they want to
-  their family had Southern roots, ____it !

so was this citynorthernerboy macho enough for such a place?  no, i figured.
 as it turned out, ALL the decorations just about were Betty Boop- related.
and i was disappointed.

we took many rides, through the great notches of new hampshire mountains:
crawford, franconia.  where the great stone face stood (the old man of the
mountain) was a sign showing how it fell and a composite picture showing it now and
then...  sad.

moose can be mostly seen early and late, so one early ante-meridian we headed
out north, into the Great North Woods.  we saw an astoundingly eroded gorge
by the side of the road called "coos canyon", saw where edmund muskie was born,
saw manymany cool churches and stores,  passed the Rangeley Lakes area where
lakes and mountains share the space beautifully, and then saw a red fox by the
side of the road. it willingly allowed photographs of it, and we watched it
for a while. it's buddy came by and they long-shaggy-tailed it out of there.  i
thanked them as they left.  later we DID see a moose, in the middlethestreet.
 only for a second, for a car going the other way made it vamoose...

at my urging, we went into NH, eatting at a moosly-decorated local restaurant
and heading up to dixville notch, a place i've been hoping to see for years.
is it really the wildest of the notches...........?