[at-l] Jazzman's Trip Report part 1

I am an occasional writer, but mostly listener, of the at-l. I am the quiet
friend of Kelly of ft lau'dale.

driving thru the night,  reached Philly from Maine early Monday morning. I
drove 2982 miles through NY, mass, VT, NH, and Maine. I also took some great
hikes. I am hoping someone is interested, and I will try to make the writing
interesting. The trip surely was...

Driving north from NE Philly. All trips begin with bagel sandwiches from
Dunkin Donuts. that is kind of a fact. And we drove, Mindy and I, on big highways.
m writes down names of unusual license-plates, bumper-stickers, signs, etc.,
as we neared NYC, we heard the strangest radio show, combining all kinds of
music, spoken word, skits, babies crying, etc.

I hoped to gaze at midtown Manhattan from Weehaukin (I am NOT looking up any
spelling), where Thelonious monk was living as he went mad and stayed inside
until the end......but I got pulled into the gravitational field of Jersey
City. At a promenade, we saw lower Manhattan and the ships around it, and
business-people taking ferries to NY or from NY to jersey city's bus. area. and
helicopter's were in the air. I thought it was normal, but a passerby said
"something's going on" & indeed it was: the shooting at city hall.

We escaped J city and headed thru traffic watchingly. I knew soon we'd leave
the bustle behind. first though, we parked at the GW Bridge, and walked part
of it. NYC was in the clouds, cars everywhere. ..

Escape again, this time to the Palisades Parkway. At a stop, we saw the
cliffs of the 'sades all around. such wildness of scenery so close to the wildness
of buildings...

Up the Hudson, the highlands, like friends to me. That's how mountains are.
we drove the beautiful drive till Peekskill. The Peekskill inn, with views of
the sunset over the river and layers of mountains, train whistles, lights of
cars traveling the curvy streets. all that from the office. This is my kind of
place...

I spoke to the desked person. YES, thru-hikers DO stop by. esp. this year,
since it rained so much of June. Some could hardly sign their names. there are
younger hikers and older ones. A large gap in the middle, she said. people with
careers who'll hike later on...

Dinner with a view, the Hudson highlands disappearing with the orange light.
But concurrently, the lights of houses near the river coming on...

It was perfect. Except my camera had stopped working! and I take many
pictures. I coaxed it into a last few sunset pictures, and made plans for a
camera-shop-stop in the am...