[at-l] Hammock Camping on the Appalachian Trail

>"...Can I just explain that to a ranger if I'm sleeping nearby in a hammock?"

If you are hiking during the peak weeks of March through most of April. Just
hang out a while. The shelters will quickly fill up and you can be legal, long
before dark.

However, I've lived with dust allergies all my life. But I had no problems with
the shelters on the trail. Neither did I find cigarets or pot a problem.
Virtually all users do it discretely and out of sight. I worried about mice, but
they proved to be a non-problem also.

Remember most of the shelters are wide open on one side. The wind blows through
at will. I tended to sleep with my head towards the open side to lessen the
allergy problem. For all practical purposes, I was allergy free during my six
months on the trail. They returned as usual that winter and all the years since.

Weary