[at-l] Re: hikeridewalkspeed #6

what lead to my annointment as a hiker was the next day. from pincham notch
(remind me to tell you who i picked up there days later) i attempted the
Tuckerman Ravine Trail, leading to the base of the ravine.  2.4 each way. it was
relentlessly uphill, on piles of rocks, for such is much of mt washington, you
know?  i also was not sure WHAT i'd see if i reached the end, and questioning
down-goers gave conflicting information. but one man helped me tremendously. he
had a howhighupometer, and info about how far and the view i would see...and
it was a place thru-hikers can stay if they get off the trail a bit, and it's a
place of wonder...a lake, and all around rugged peaks, sloping down.  the
ravine itself.   i was stunned and grateful. and i bought a patch to remember,
along with all my pictures, what i had done.   down was a long way, but with
diane and paul (overonenight guests) waiting and buying us dinner, i zoomed down,
poleless and waterless.  paul was impressed, though he said my lack of
preparation was actually dangerous. (we hear what mt washington, who i thanked, of
course, can do to the unprepared.)

and we ate at pinkham notch, a communal, pass-arround-food meal.  i really
felt part of the group, and had coffee and hot chocolate simultaneously.....on a
model of the presidentials in the Pinkham Notch center, i saw the path i had
taken...

i'm sorry if this seems braggingish. i am not really like that (usually)...