How hot the water? (was) RE: Re[2]: [at-l] First aid 101

>"... "Most" toxic chemicals apparently are larger than those filters' smallest
>holes and larger than water molecules."

My apologies for continuing a debate on a subject that I truly am not an expert
on. But I suspect that molecule size has little to do with filter removal of
chemical contamination of water sources. My memory suggests that only those
filters with charcoal elements, remove dissolved  chemicals.

As for:

>"... one can never be absolutely sure."

A truer statement was never said on this list. The only way to totally avoid
trail hazards is to stay home and watch "Nature" on television -- and risk
premature death from a dozen lethargy-caused ailments.

Wiser folks will recognize that the way to get the most out of life is to live
life to the maximum.

People are murdered on the trail, get sick on the trail, drown swimming in
trail-side streams.....the list of hazards is endless. Yet, the trail is as safe
as anyplace can be in our modern and "enlightened," evolution-produced "higher"
existence.

Wise hikers will do what seems reasonable to avoid problems. Certainly, if for
some reason I can't see the bubbles on the bottom of a small pot, I'll keep
heating until I do or the water reaches that magic "rolling boil."

Wise folks also will take reasonable precautions and recognize that with all its
hazards, the trail is safer than home.

I am sure of one thing, however. Boiling is the most reliable method of treating
water -- far more reliable than the best and heaviest filters, or the most
potent chemical treatments. There are no lethal chemicals to be found in trail
water sources. There are no chemicals that will cause immediate illness. There
is the remote possibility that drinking water from chemically-contaminated
sources often enough will slightly increase the chances of sickness decades
later. It might possibly be useful for multiple thru hikers to worry about
chemicals (Warren Doyle and Baltimore Jack immediately come to mind) but the
rest of use, I suspect, can safely ignore that particular hazard.

I will take DelDoc's word that once bubbles start bouncing up from the bottom of
a pot, the water is safe to drink. Others should ignore my practices and do
whatever they think best.

Weary