[at-l] AT License Plates

In a message dated 8/7/2003 11:42:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> Back in July, at-l member Thru-Thinker (aka Clark Wright) told us about
> this. Congrats, Thru-Thinker on having a great idea and instigating to make it
> happen!
> TJ
>
> >From the ATC website:
> N.C. Appalachian Trail License Plate Up to the Governor Now
> If Gov. Michael F. Easley signs the bill and if Trail supporters step up to
> show their connection, the Appalachian Trail Conference could benefit in a
> major way from a measure passed in the waning hours of the North Carolina
> General Assembly's session last month. The bill authorizes a special Appalachian
> Trail license plate if 300 Tar Heel drivers sign up for it. It would cost $50
> a year, with $20 earmarked for ATC projects in North Carolina, home to about
> 285 miles of the A.T. (counting border-straddling stretches) and more than
> 3,000 ATC members. State Senator Joe Sam Queen has been the champion of the
> measure all year, with ATC member Clark Wright a significant instigator from
> outside the legislature. Queen ? an architect who also is involved in many
> bluegrass music festivals within reach of the Trail ? represents a western North
> Carolina district and lives near Asheville.
> August 4, 2003

        ***    Thank you TJ for your support of internet AT advocacy. A year
or so ago I brought forth a post asking whether or not an AT check-off box on
a tax form wouldn't be a good way of creating revenue for AT conservation.
>From this productive advocacy thread a discussion ensued where I brought up the
idea of an AT license plate for the same reason. Clark saw it and ran with it,
using his legal background as an 'in' with the state.

         I find it particularly telling that those who reflexively bash Trail
support outside hiking chat then come in and give credit after the fact
-while the whole time either ignoring, discouraging, (or denying) the same. I think
this tendency pretty much directly translates to other sites and persons
urging active AT support as well as the lack of accurate recognition as well.
There's obviously a conflict there that speaks for itself. This idea was brought
to AT-L by myself under the purpose of advocacy-type support for the AT via the
internet. It is now having a direct and material positive effect on the
Trail. I thank Clark for his capable follow through and effort for the AT (As I do
anyone who works for material end results for the AT)...