[at-l] Thru-hiker preference in the Smoky Nat. Park

Since I just sent off a comment that included a mention of the "Thru-Hiker"
preference-at-shelters thingy, I thought I would posted the following
cut'n'paste from an ATC site.  I would have included in the first message,
but I forgot how picky some of our group can get over that topic ;-) and
sent the 1st out before thinking.

"Backcountry camping permits are required for all backpackers in the Great
Smoky Mountains National Park. Most visitors must reserve in advance a space
in a specific shelter or campsite. However, the park recognizes the
difficulty long-distance hikers have in setting a detailed itinerary far
enough in advance to obtain a reservation, and has allowed some flexibility
for thru-hikers. "
"Thru-hikers are required to obtain a backcountry permit that allows seven
(7) consecutive nights and eight (8) days to traverse the A.T. through the
park, but are exempt from the reservation system. Because of the large
number of northbound thru-hikers who enter the park between March 1 and June
15, three bunk spaces at each A.T. shelter are reserved for them during this
time. If the shelter is full, thru-hikers may camp in the immediate vicinity
and within sight of the shelter. "
"Be aware that in the Great Smokies, the term "thru-hiker" has a very
specific definition that is broader than describing someone who is
attempting to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. In addition to that
familiar use, the park also uses "thru-hiker" to describe a person who
begins a hiking trip at least fifty (50) miles outside the park, hikes the
A.T. through the Smokies, and finishes the trip at least fifty (50) miles
outside the opposite boundary of the park. "
"During the spring thru-hiking season, it is quite likely that shelters will
be overcrowded with thru-hikers, with numbers far exceeding the three spaces
allotted at each shelter. If you encounter this situation, please be
considerate of the other backpackers who may have reservations for the
shelter, recognize their legitimate claim to their bunk space, and set up
camp outside per the above regulations. "
Also at another site mention was made of other parks (national and state)
having other rules that might apply to thru-hikers.
This plus some youth groups (Boy Scouts) seem to try and be polite to
thru-hikers.  I got a spot at one shelter because the troop knew "the rule"
and the good scouts and the scoutmasters made the slugs in the shelter move
out.  I needed since I was really sick.
William, The Turtle