[at-l] part 3

heading straight for the action, we watched as the buildings of the State
Capital complex and City and other buildings, too, got closer and closer.  we saw
Albany in daylight this time before heading east on rt 2.  thru
neighborhoods, suburbs, little towns, and then winding prettily toward the distant
mountains, mr greylock the tallest.

our progress was halted by a small sign: "peace pagoda".  my instinct told me
to check it out.  and we did, onto thirdary and fourary roads, totally
isolated.  the last stage was on foot. . .
what a cool place!   a kind dog greeted us at the prayer house. decorated so
eastern-religionly and beutifully, i took off my shoes and picked up my
camera....a large pagoda stood by, too, awaiting my arrival. in a circular fashion,
it showed and told in engravings and signs the story of Buddah's life.

we were honored to have seen that place, inhabited at that time by just one
canine.  construction was in progress, we saw, and it appeared to be by humans.
today they were not there...

back to 2, a very scenic road into n adams.  we took rt 8 north for two
things: - an artists' cooperative in an old warehouse. i was welcomed warmly and
told to look around as much as i wanted. really colorful, bold portraits were on
the walls. around the corner was a tv showing 6 versions of a road trip
simultaneously! - an eroded marble area, high walls of marble, crazy eroded marble
rockshapes, a marble arch.  really something different...

then back onto rt 2, the mohawk trail, past florida and the curvy foresty
part of the road. we took an offshoot i read about, high mountains all around
us...

then up into vermont, picking up rt 100 at the border and passing 1,000 miles
for the trip soon after.  many small towns (we took many post office
pictures) and much forest in-between.  we stopped in wilmington, where we once stayed
for a week. HERE's all the people!  on the one E-W road, amazing traffic.  we
went up 100 into rutland. we had a nice conversation with the owner of a
restaurant we took food out from. i reminded him of the '60's. he had just barely
missed woodstock, and in fact has gotten more liberal since those days. he and
mindy lamented the state of the country...

next morning we drove through some mountain passes, then headed up rt 7
towards  burlington. at mt philo state park, we got 360  degree views of lake
champlain and the adirondacks beyond. a wedding was being got-ready-for, and a
guitarist sang a james taylor song in front of the grand scenery. what an
amazingly great place for a wedding.

at sherourn, i visited a museum of americana. all kinds of things - ships,
lighthouses, barns - had been hauled to this giant area.

and then to the burlington waterfront, orange nightfall behind the NY
mountains and the Lake.  i asked directions to the Silver Palace...