[at-l] RE: at-l Pack Suggestions

Greetings,

Congratulations on your sectioning to date.  My hiking partner and I started
the same way in 1989, and we've sectioned north to Gorham, NH to date.

I too have a Peak 1 bag (I forget the name, but it's about 4000 ci and
weighs about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs) that I have used for the past four years.
Other than a seam rip on the top lid from overstuffing (easily fixed), it
has been fine and the suspension is very comfortable.  Personally, it's
worth a pound or so to carry more comfortably.

There are noteable (and expensive) exceptions, but if you want to drop a a
significant amount of pack weight, you typically have to drop pack volume.
I looked to do that before my last section when I went hut to hut in the
Whites.  I decided that the money wasn't worth the lack of weight and I
bought a Kelty Redwing Large (2900 ci, 3 lbs) that I now use for shorter
trips and the boys use it as well.  If I had to do it again, I'd go with the
Kelty Moraine, a slighly larger toploader with the same Redwing suspension,
just for the extra capacity.  It's a good pack that allows me to comfortably
carry whatever I put in or hang on it.

I've gone the same route in dropping weight and volume with my bag and
shelter (Eureka Timberline to OR Personal Bivy Shelter) over the years.
Most recently, my weight and volume loss has come from dropping extra
clothing.  I don't need the changes of clothing that I once thought I did.
Cell phones have gotten a lot lighter, too. :)

As a cheap alternative to drop from your 4.4 pound pack to a 3 pound pack,
the most recent Coleman backpack, the Lunar, is shown at:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=8504-450&cat
egoryid=25510&submittingpage=subcategory.asp It says that it's 4500 ci and 3
pounds.  At $89.99, it's a cheap way to go.  If you live near one of the
Camp Coleman outlet stores (there's one at Myrtle Beach, Commerce (GA) and
Smithfield (NC)) you can usually find a 10% off coupon and pick it up for
about $80.

Good luck on your sections.  At three or four sections per year, you're
behind on trip reports...

Take Care,

Tim