[at-l] Off Topic Inquiry - Copyright

"Ferguson, J. Mark" wrote:

> What they can copyright is the form they present it in, ie: on CD in PDF format.  The "original" long ago passed into the public domain.  This is like someone creating a book of copies of 18th and 19th music scores and publishing the same, or someone doing a facsimile reprint of a Charles Dickens work.  Again, its the new form that is being copywritten.
>
> Skippie..

	Actually, I knew about the format option; I was just being a smart-ass.
I would suggest that even in this case they don't have much of a leg to
stand on. I cannot simply copy their PDF file (thus taking their
'effort') and pass it around, but I can make my own from the source
material and they would have no legal recourse.

	Ron, not an expert on copyright, no warranty expressed or implied, your
mileage may vary, post no bills...
--

must preside at our assemblies.
	William O. Douglas