[at-l] CPR Useless?

Regarding initial treatment of a pulseless lightning strike victim, Shane
makes the suggestion of inducing deep pain with sternal rub, followed by a
sharp blow to the chest.

I doubt the sternal rub is going to make any difference to the victim. The
lack of pulse is often due to V fib or other nasty arrhythmia (where is
Gary Buffington when we need him?) The chest blow delivers about 50 joules
of energy that can convert a relatively healthy heart back into sinus
rhythm. It looks and sounds bad, but feels oh-so-good when it works.

However, that victim may still go without respirations for a very
uncomfortably long time. He needs his airway cleared and may need mouth to
mouth initiated.

So, CPR has a low return on investment. You should plan on knowing how to
do it and when to stop.

OrangeBug