[at-l] Snake 101

Just before reaching Hancock Md on the Tuscarora Trail I ran into a Timber
Rattler. As long as rattlers rattle it doesn't bother me, I figure the
gentleman (or lady) is just letting me know where it is, and I'll happily
stay out of the way.
I stopped at my sisters outside Hancock, and the neighbors asked about
snakes, so I was describing the timber rattler... There's something about
the sound of a rattlesnake that seems to bypass your (or at least mine)
higher thought processes and goes right to the brainstem... By the time my
brain figures out that I just heard a rattlesnake I've gone from 2.5 mph
forward to 5 steps backward... Talk about testing out your reflexes...

skeeter