[at-l] Emergency Books

I'd call your local Red Cross (where is that Bleeder Guy?) and ask for
updates on CPR (essentially useless in backcountry) and first aid. I bet
they will let you know of a course at a local church, hospital, YMCA, etc.
I'd ask your school (Midlands Tech) about similar courses for you for the
perceived need. This is taught in community colleges in Atlanta and Metro
areas. Gear shops often offer such courses. I encourage folks to take them
and critique them just as we would Frogg Toggs.

But much of this is taught in RUCKs and mini gatherings of hikers, also.
Shane has previously discussed the multitude of first aid uses of gear. I
don't really carry a first aid kit. My stuff (and some grey matter) is my
first aid kit. Duct tape and a closed cell mat = splint for fractured long
bone. (stay put, stay warm and wait for help) Duct tape and a bandana =
pressure dressing for a laceration. (stay warm and hydrated and consider
getting it sewn)

This isn't rocket science. If it is something you need to get from a book,
do you think you will recall it when your heart is bumping 140 times a
minute and you have a white bleeding thing sticking out your pants leg?

OrangeBug