[at-l] Calorie counting {WAS Sugar Substitutes}

Actually it does help. I was diagnosed with "borderline" diabetes (see PS)
just as I was preparing for a LD of the AT.  The doc (at home) set my med
schedule.  I followed it.  And tried to follow it with what I ate.  I did
eat more and I was not entirely true to my "stay-away-from-sugar" diet.  But
I did good.

Then I began having trouble just before Hot Springs.  I was hoping it was
the flu or something like that.  But I was missing some of my usual flu
symptoms.  Plus I had a very close friend who had felt and acted the same
way and that turned out to be because she had Hodgkins.  So I hurried off
the trail and hitched into Hot Springs.  Shared a couple of beers with some
young good ol' boys.

The next Monday, the doc (there) ran a series of tests on me.  His
conclusion: I was over-dosing by following my meds and I needed to cut back
on my diabetic medication and to eat a LOT more.  Never did I hear more
welcomed words: First because I did not have some form of cancer or other
serious trouble.  But I COULD EAT ALL I WANTED!  I just had to moderate my
sugars.  No eating an entire shipement of Twinkies deep fried.

I am currently having to readjust since I am not getting the workout I did
doing LD hiking (see P2S).  Being a librarian is not conductive to burning
calories.  And living in the middle of a city without a car is not
conductive to getting out into the country.

But, you are right.  Such hiking BURNS food.  And considering the value of
calories while LD hiking, I would carry sugar.  But around here, since I
grew up with sugared coffee, and Southern Ice Tea ("if you can't use it on
pancakes it ain't sweet tea"), I want something to sweeten it.  At least I
don't use lead like the Ancient Romans.

William, The Sugarless Turtle

PS	I prefer the term "borderline" diabetes rather than diabetes type 2.
Mainly because I am in denial. ;-) And partly because I think it takes
something away from those who are insulin dependent.  And I dread the day it
might become full blown diabetes: 1) I am terrified of needles. 2) I love
sweets.

P2S	I have read in more than one place and talked to a couple of
nutrionists/sports experts who say that LD hiking with a full backpack
causes the "average" person to burn the equivalent of 2 marathons a day.
And I did lose 20 lbs. the first week.  LD hiking with full pack does have a
positive effect on "borderline" diabetics.  I have no idea what its effect
on insulin dependents is.  I just know some do hike the AT.