[at-l] Sugar Substitutes

It started when I mentioned using powdered sugar on a hike: It packs more
sweet to a spoonful than regular sugar and best of all, it dissolves easier.
And anything that dissolves easier is handier when mixing cold water and
drink mixes (see PS). Then I connected it to sugar subs like you see in a
restaurant's sugar bowl.  Someone commented on the health warnings connected
to sugar subs.  I had forgotten to save it and forgot who commented.  Since
I am diabetic (borderline) and since I need to cut some sugar cals out, I
asked for a repeat of the info.

Somehow people has assumed that it was about whether sugar or sugar subs
were better for you.    For me, sugar subs should be a necessity most of the
time and someday, they maybe an absolute necessity.  Even on the trail.

I still think powdered sugar is a better bet than regualr sugar or sugar
subs for most hikers.  But in the flatlands and on short hikes, I would
probably go with powdered.

William, The Turtle

PS	Powdered sugar "grains" pack closer together than regular (granular)
sugar.  Thus they dissolve easier.  And they pack more "sweet" in the same
space than granular sugar does.  Which is handy when backpacking.  And since
it is cheaper to buy unsweetened packs of drink mix, then a quick mix sugar
is better for mixing into drinks.  Also, it cuts down on having to carry
presweetened drink mix and sugar for other things.