[at-l] Hiking in Florida Where it can get Hot!

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 03:28  PM, Jim Bullard wrote:
> ?
> For my part when it's hot I always wear a bandana or cotton hat. Since
> we lose most of our body heat in cold weather through our heads, that
> sounds counter-intuitive but a hat with a brim, even a baseball cap,
> is cooler than no hat especially for those of us who are
> hair-challenged. To increase cooling even further I dip the
> bandana/hat in every stream, pond?or puddle I encounter to get the
> advantage of evaporative cooling.

I wear a hat with a large brim.  There's a strip of mesh around it so I
get some
air flow.  Not a lot, but some.

> ?
> If the radiant heat of the sun is the problem and a hat isn't
> enough,?get a large golf umbrella and walk in its shade to get in
> walking shape.
> ?

I do this regularly in the summer, though not while hiking.

Having just come home from a second brutal day working on my farm,
I definitely have opinions on how to stay comfortable in the
heat and humidity.

1)  Cover up.  Being a redhead, I burn.  If I'm going to be outdoors
any length of time, I wear long pants, boots, a long sleeve shirt
buttoned up, a bandanna around my neck, and a big hat.  And gloves.
All the clothes except the gloves and the boots are loose so air
can circulate.  It's far more comfortable for me than having the
sun directly on my skin.  It looks and sounds crazy when it's 90+
degrees out, but it works.

2)  Drink.  If you don't have to pee regularly, you aren't drinking
enough.

3)  Know thyself.  Pay attention to what your body is telling you.
I came home today because I was showing signs of having spent too much
time in the sun.

4)  Rest.  If you feel yourself getting too tired, too hot, too
flushed, too
whatever, find a shady spot (or make one with a tarp or umbrella)
and sit.  If you're in Florida, make sure your shady spot is not already
inhabited by fireants.

I've tried the neck crystal thingies, and I don't like them.  They make
my neck too cold.  Some people like them, though.  (They're hankies
filled with crystals which you soak in water.  They swell like crazy.)
They really do work to keep you cool.

The siesta idea is a good one.  I don't nap, but I definitely do take a
rest
break at the hottest part of the day.  If possible I go somewhere cool
and take off all my clothes to let them dry.

-amy