[at-l] Maine AT logistics help, please!

In a message dated 7/26/2003 12:03:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
atinca@mindspring.com writes:

<<  His son thinks the access points
 would be 100 miles or so out (Monson, I assume) and at 60 miles out (no idea
 where this would be).  >>

Hi Inca,
 There's a major paper company road called the Jo-Mary Road that accesses the
AT just south of the Cooper Brook Falls Shelter and just south of the Antlers
Campsite. The road branches west off Rte 11 north of Brownville Junction.
Another paper company road also accesses the 100 mile wilderness even closer to
Monson. It's called the Katahdin Iron Works road (the "KI" road to locals) and
goes into the Gulf Hagas from Rte 11 and all the way through to Greenville.
 The hike north from the Jo Mary Road is a relatively easy 50 miles or so to
Katahdin. (I'm not near my DataBook, actual mileage may be different.) The
hike north from Gulf Hagas goes over a half dozen tough mountains before hitting
the 'flat' stretch.
 More info is at www.aldha.com where you can view the Companion for free.
hope this helps, please let me know if I can help more,
TJ
ALDHA Companion volunteer, Caratunk to Katahdin