[at-l] Insect Problems - BRS

We had a shed at our house in Tucson which was a regular refuge for Black
Widows.  My sister would talk to them, making non-violence agreements; I
generally killed them if I could - but they never bit anyone.  One time I
moved a pile of decorative bricks so I could sweep out the shed.  As I was
putting them back, I noticed a big fat mama right in the hole where I had
put my hand to carry it out.  I dropped it and watched her for a while, then
went on to other things.  I figured since she didn't bit me, when she could
have, I wouldn't kill her.

My stepmother was bitten by a Brown Recluse in Houston.  She didn't know how
she had gotten bitten, just that she had a sore that wouldn't heal and kept
growing.  Fortunately, her doctor figured out fairly quickly what the
problem was and did surgery to remove the dead skin.  As far as I know, I've
never even seen one -- which is good, since spiders usually like to chew on
me.

Ginny