[at-l] Good places to hike the AT for non-hikers

A really great place to hike the AT in North Carolina is from the Wayah
Crest picnic area in Wayah Gap to Siler Bald.  Its a grassy bald with a
great view and lots of space for camping.  We usually hike there for our
snow hike in the Winter but we decided we wanted to see what it looks like
in the summer.  It was incredible.  The normally short, brown dead grass was
green, tall, and full of clover and wildflowers.

The 11 and 12 yr-olds in my troop went there last weekend.  It was a perfect
2.5 mile hike culminating in a campout at the summit, 5216' above sea level.
The skies were clear, the sunset magnificent, and the stars were bright.
Saturday night, the ISS flew overhead.  It was an incredible sight.

If you want a longer hike, start from Winding Stair Gap and hike up to Siler
Bald.

This is not the same Siler as in GSMNP.  This one if further south, between
Wayah Bald and Albert Mtn.

Also, a set of keys to my Scout hut are still in the parking lot, a few feet
from the wall to the right of the steps at the picnic area.  If anyone finds
them, please let me know!

:-)

Charles