[at-l] OT Re: at-l Digest, Vol 3,Issue 43 Message # 20 -- Patriot Act

OFF TOPIC
I think that anyone who thinks that the "Patriot Act" makes them any more secure is kidding themselves. People all over the world have been trading freedom for security under authoritarian governments for centuries. It was/is a sad day for the world when the "land of the brave and the home of the free" decides that a false sense of safety and security is more important than the freedoms our ancestors fought and died for.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bror8588@aol.com
  To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 2:39 PM
  Subject: [at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 43 Message # 20 -- Patriot Act

  Are they going to come on the AT and search for people?  Instead of denying funding why not address the main thrust and notify people who are being looked at?  It seems to me that people who are targets of an investigation of intellectual pursuits should be aware of that fact.

  The problem with political input on this or any other specific interest message board is that there are many opinions and nuanced solutions. Sanders et al. should address the heart of the Patriot Act and notify those investigated.  Funding for legitimate investigation of criminals and/or terrorists (who are criminals, indeed) should not be cut off but increased.

  What do you think?

  Skylander Jack