[at-l] Hiking Poles? Homemade or otherwise?

>"...For $100 for a set of trekking poles ...," points out OB

Which is one reason  why I choose to make my own, somewhat superior poles to
those commercially available.

>"I gather the opportunity to criticize other hikers' gear choices is just
>another opportunity to "Let's Get Stupid." OB adds.

I'm not sure that anyone has criticized other hikers' choice of poles, at least
recently. Jim and I just reported what we do, and why. Such messages, I think
are less an indication of stupidity, than of trying to be helpful, which
presumably is one of the goals of a list like this. In any case we quite
properly criticize gear lists all the time in an attempt to be helpful.

However, there is a question of whether hiking poles with pointed tips cause
damage to the trails, as OB pointed out a day or so ago.

A few of us who have engaged in extensive trail work over the decades believe
some damage is pretty obvious. The only question in my mind is the seriousness
of the damage. But I have decided to await the results of the studies OB
mentioned recently before renewing that particular discussion.

Weary