[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 30 Library Truth or Err or

Because it was not written as fiction.  And it is a "valuable" item in the
non-fiction area of para-psyhchology -- even if para-psychology is not true.
Classifying something as "non-fiction" and as "fiction" has nothing to do
with what's in it so much as what the intentions of the authors was.  And
even then, if the work was published as "non-fiction" to begin with, it is
likely to stay in non-fiction.

Suppose you wanted to disprove para-psychology.  If the works dealing with
para-psychology were all fiction, how would you find them?  You could not
unless you knew every title.  And that way, you might miss the most
important titles for your research.

Dewey is sert up for pop-reading.  So it often shuffles works into fiction,
biography, and other works that do not fit into non-fiction.  And those
works often do not have subject-headings.  So a speculative work on chaos
theory could end up in fiction.

Lord of the Rings is fiction.  The Bible is non-fiction. To some people
works on Evolution deserve to be in fiction and Creationism in non-fiction.
But both (in Dewey) are placed in non-fiction. The Library of Congress
classification scheme does away with seperate headings for non-fiction and
fiction.  It catalogs "everything" in letters from A to Z.  And thus is
easier if you really want to do research and do not want to just bolster
your prejudices or to write a quickie term paper.

Also remember what today is supported as the truth often was not the truth
in the past.  Library classifying is not meant to support one viewpoint or
the other.  Library classifying is meant to give you a chance to research
and decide what the truth is.

William, The Library Turtle