[at-l] Trekking poles? Nomad lite?

Thanks to the mention by Platy Hiker, I now remember the brand name of the knob
and strap that graces the top of my wooden hiking staff. It's Komperdell. I
ordered it through their website, which I found via a Google search.

For those who might wish to make a similar hiking staff, here is what I did. I
used alder because it is plentiful in boggy swamps and wet places and because a
three-quarter inch thick piece is pretty mature and thus sturdy as compared with
other commonly available saplings. The length depends on what you find
comfortable, but I think longer is better than too short. You can always saw it
off.

Resist using a piece that is too thick. That adds extra weight and is why most
commercial wood staffs are too heavy for serious hiking. Even half inch alder is
amazingly strong and probably better at resisting breakage than the typical
commercial hiking pole. I find 3/4-1 inch saplings about ideal.

 The Komperdell top attaches via a 1/4-20 screw -- the same size as the tripod
 socket on cameras. I used a 3/4 inch long hex head screw. I started by drilling
 a 1/2 inch hole in the top of my alder stick. One half inch is roughly the
 diameter of the hex head. To make sure I had plenty of space for the epoxy glue
 to hold to, I screwed a hex head nut all the way onto the screw, before
 inserting it in the hole. I applied the epoxy liberally to both the hole and
 the screw/nut combination, leaving three-eighths of an inch protruding, for
 attaching the Komperdell head and strap.

 A 3/4 inch crutch tip is ideal for the base of the pole. Shave the end of the
 stick until it just squeezes on and you will never have to worry about it
 coming off. Every hardware store has basic tips. But I find medical supply
 stores have tips that grip rocks slightly better at a cost of as few extra
 pennies.

 When used as a monopod, I remove the Komperdell, and attach the camera.

 I used to agree with Jim and not use a strap, but since installing the
 Komperdell head, I've become a semi-convert to strap use. I also find the built
 in compass handy, especially when scouting lot lines of properties our land
 trust is thinking of acquiring, and using new trails on overcast days.

 This is more complicated to explain than to do. My second pole took about 12
 minutes total time. The first took longer because I was starting from scratch
 without instructions. If you have questions, send them along.

 Weary