[at-l] Poles and Nomads

David,

I have both a Nomad and the poles.  Trekking poles are really a personal
choice.   I use them now because I have to with my tent.  However, when I
don’t take a tent, I still take the poles.  So there you go.

I saw your other post about the Quehanna trail.  It is funny that trail
comes up again here.   A friend was just telling me about this trail on
Friday.  This leads me to Pennsylvania hiking.  It is frankly too flat to
need poles.  The most use I have had with Poles and PA hiking is stream
crossing, (ever hiked the Susquehannock Trail), and rocky trails (eg the PA
AT).   I have had the most use of my poles in Maine and Virginia but I take
them with me always.

So, how was the Quehanna Trail?  I assume its ridge, valley, hemlock grove,
mixed hardwood, beaver dam, ridge, valley, hemlock grove …..  I got bored on
the Susquehannock trail, it reminded me too much of the NCT in PA and I have
had all I want of that trail.  Time to get the heck out of the state (I live
here!!).

As for the tent, at 2.5 lbs it’s very hard to beat for solo backpacking.  If
I’m going to take a tent, this is the one.   I’ve been using it for three
years and would buy it again.

Regards,

Tim (Shep)

PS.  Watch out for condensation in the Nomad.  Kurt says it’s not an issue.
I don’t agree.  Ventilation is key.  Furthermore, I think trekking poles
without straps are missing the point.