From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 21:16
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] (Guest Post) Trail Name

Shane  wrote:
>>Personally, I never have and never will allow others to
>>decide who I am or what I should be called.
>
>Well, except for the time your parents wrote 'Jim' on your birth
>certificate...

Not really - I didn't "allow" that.  And if I objected to it, I'd have
changed my name long ago.  Actually, I did - no one who knows me calls me
James anymore.  And those who've called me Jimmy are a dying breed.
Literally - but not by my choice or desire.

>>Walk softly - wearing your own identity, not someone
>>else's,
>
>Agreed.  That's why I've actively shrugged off all the trail names people
>try to hang on me.

Yeah - the names others would hang on you usually have nothing to do with
who you really are.  Only with their limited perception.

Ginny reminded me that some people pick trail names that indicate who they
WANT to be.  And that's as valid a reason as any.  Allowing others to name
you would short-circuit the possibility of "becoming" who you want to be.
Not acceptable.

>I've always been Shane.  Seems good enough...

Then it's good enough for me, too.   <VBG>