[at-l] Beautiful things ot see while hiking in Florida !

To hike in Florida is quite interesting. You have creatures there that are in no other part of the US, with the exception of the rattlesnake. Cougars, variety of parrots, manatees, pelicans, osprey, falcons, cranes, ibis, storks, herons, and if you can hike near a shoreline you might catch these: whales, sea turtles, fiddler crabs, dolphins. Now, on the strip in southern Miami Beach-formally known as a Little Cuba, if you chose to walk/hike in the city, you will have to share the walkway with the palmettos. They take up a lot of space on a sidewalk, and they don't move for you!

Then while you're hiking, all of a sudden, a harsh but brief rainstorm approaches, the type that turns the sky pitch black and is directly over your friggin head. It drenches your body and mind and then leaves as quickly as it came. (okay, so take a change of clothes).

When I lived in Florida for 2 years, I couldn't get enough of it's beauty. And every morning when I stepped outside, I would smell the air....oh it was so nice. Aromas of tropical flowers (especially gardenia), the salt, and crab cakes cooking at the local convenient store/gas station.

These are some of the beautiful encounters in Florida, so take a chance and try it. Even in the heat. Take a break during the hottest part of the day like Ginny said, take a look around....smell, enjoy, hike.

Marsha
Cleveland