[at-l] Summer Hiking in Florida

Not to pick a fight with fellow Floridians, but it IS possible to hike in Florida in the summer.  Course, you would have to agree that walking in the woods 2-3 miles is still a hike.  Within the past week and a half I have:

hiked Lake Proctor Wilderness (2+ miles) in the evening two times--with 25lb. backpack--both times in the evening, starting about 6:30 p.m.

hiked the Hontoon Island State Park trail (3 miles, sans backpack) in a pouring rain without a rain jacket (you get to choose--wet from the outside or wet from the inside).  Rain was very cooling.  There were a lot of wildflowers in bloom in the pine flatwoods.

hiked Geneva Wilderness trail (2 miles) with 25 lbs. backpack.  Temperature when I got on the trail at 7:25 p.m. was 84.  Don't know what the humidity was, but it wasn't low.

Okay, it's NOT any mileage to brag about, but it is out there in the heat and humidity.  I try to pick shady trails.  One reward for going out after work is that's also the best time for sighting wildlife.

I'm just hoping these little bitty flatland forrays are gonna help when I hit the Shenandoah for a few days about July 28.

Operating on the something is better than nothing theory,
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com