[at-l] Rain gear question (was Mountain Hardware Customer Service)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Paul Miller" <jeanpaul@comcast.net>
To: "Jim Bullard" <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com>; "at-l" <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Rain gear question (was Mountain Hardware Customer
Service)

> > I have a rain parka (non-breathable) that works okay. It has no pit
zips.
> > Are they really a useful feature? Someone posted a raingear review URL
> > recently and the reviewer didn't think much of pit zips. What is the
> > collective experience of y'all? Good feature or just a place to let
water
> > in?
> >
> > Saunterer
>
> I wear the jacket as a wind breaker ...clip...
>
> please also note: I am one of those people that sweat huge amounts. so I
> always get wet when it rains. I have owned Gore-Tex but never really liked
> it because I seemed to get just as wet. It was bulky and weighed more and
> was still getting just as wet so I just went non-breathable.
>

> when this jacket finally ruins I am going to try one of those new age
> breathable type jacket made by REI.  At 13 oz I am willing to suffer the
> extra oz to see if it works.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=400000
08000&productId=47592211&parent_category_rn=4501457
> plus it comes in mango!!! which looks suspiciously like safety Orange to
me.

> if anyone has tried this jacket let me know.
>
> Wisperlight

Why not the Marmot Phoenix? Same price, same weight, also has pit zips and
has a longer body.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47642081&storeId=80
00&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1