[at-l] Gulf Hagas deaths

This report is a month late, but I don't remember it being reported on the list.
Two hikers drowned a month ago while attempting to swim at the base of one of
waterfalls along the blue-blazed Gulf Hagas side trail to the AT.

The details may be found at  http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.cfm/ID/403279/

The two jumped into one of the spectacular waterfalls in the Gulf Hagas Gorge
and were trapped by the swirling eddy at the base. One hiker jumped in. When he
didn't resurface, his brother attempted a rescue and was also trapped. Both
died.

MATC employs a ridge runner in the Gulf area to warn hikers of both the dangers
and the fragile nature of the area, but I don't think she had not yet begun her
duties. It was the third death this year in the Gulf Hagas area.

Weary