[at-l] If you post, post...

I have received several posts from the list -- on and off list -- that
appear to be nothing more than attachments.

Per SOP at our college, we are not suppose to open attachements unless we
are expecting email from someone.  And even then, we are suppose to call the
person and make sure they have sent it to us.

I use to tend to open postings from various lists because I trusted them.
But I have stopped because  I have received emails from people who did not
send out the emails -- there are some smart crackers who are faking or using
legit addresses.  So now, I either require a seperate email to confirm that
an attachment is coming or I do not open it.  Mainly because our college has
some pretty smart and wise-ass former grads.  Also some crackers who for
some reason have targeted our college.

IF YOU NEED to reach me, please send a text message with the attachments
enclosed.  Or better send two seperate messages.  Also, if you comment on
something I've said, please give me a chance to reply.  Since I am not
opening messages that are just attachments,  that means, do not "list post"
just an attachment message.  I won't open it and thus I won't know about it.

William, The Turtle

PS	Just a tip: Be careful of all "just attachments" messages.  Several
people I know of got hit from such messages.  The sender's address looks
legit and maybe legit, but the person did not send it out.  One person had
to have her computer stripped and rebooted -- Her screen saver became an act
involving an animal and a "young girl".

Some crackers are very, very good.  Better than some professionals.