[at-l] RE: Group Hiking Query

Speaking for my Troop:

1) We always split into patrols of 6-10 people.  I'm very lucky in that I
have about 20 trained adult leaders.
2) The patrols hike and camp separately.  Sometimes they are on different
trails going in different directions.  Sometimes they are on the same trail,
separated by time.  Occasionally, they will end up together if the campsite
(like Jack's River) is large enough.  Even when we're together, the patrols
remain separate from the other patrols.
3) We have many adult leaders that are Council LNT trained - and one who was
LNT trained at Philmont.  He is the adult LNT instructor.  We take LNT very,
very seriously - although we've seen many individuals, groups, and even an
occasional Troop that does not.
4) We have a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster that is responsible for making
sure the boys are trained in LNT skills.

The boys saw, first-hand, the effects of no LNT.  We hiked the Jacks River
trail in 3 groups.  When we arrived at the campsite, we remained separated
in this huge camp area -but- there was almost no vegetation between the
different campsites so it seemed that we were all closer together.  The area
has been stripped clean of anything that could burn - mostly by partying
college students.  They closed the campsite a couple of months ago because
it was so overused and trashed.

Charles