[at-l] Re: At Overnighter

Oh! Is that where the ponies are! Cool! I was thinking of Grayson Highlands as a possibility.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James N. Smith
  To: 'David Wilson'
  Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:19 PM
  Subject: RE: At Overnighter

  Here's one idea... Mt. Rogers in SW VA. It's not too far from I 81 and is on the AT. If you enter by way of Grayson Highlands SP you won't have to climb too much and the trails are well maintained. I don't recall the mileage, but I don't believe the trail was more than 4 miles to the top.

  This trip doesn't quite meet your criteria because there isn't a running stream and it isn't woodsy. It's a bald, but that allows for some outstanding views. There are springs in the area for water.

  And here's the bonus: miniature ponies graze there to help keep the bald from becoming overgrown. They're neat to see.

  -jns