  From: Charles Copeland
  To: AT-L List (E-mail)
  Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:18 AM
  Subject: Re: The AT Triangle question (was) RE: [at-l] bear feeding - wasCostof a thru-hike?

  A pace is two steps (a double step as William calls it).  A "perfect" pace is considered to be 5 feet (60 inches).  To calculate your pace, find a spot that is 50' long and on an incline.  Walk from one end to the other, counting your paces.  Then walk back, doing the same.  Divide the number of paces you took into 100 and thats your pace.  For example, if you take 13 paces downhill and 11 paces uphill then your pace is 100 / 24 = 4.1667 = 4' 2"

  Charles