From: Snodrog5@aol.com [mailto:Snodrog5@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:48 AM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: The AT Triangle question (was) RE: [at-l] bear feeding - was
Cost of a th...

Estimating distances is a knack gained from sports for me. I can just
picture a 200 meter sprint, a football field, the three-point line, or an
outfield fence 330 feet away. Golfers and shooters seem pretty good at it
too.
A meter is about two long paces. (But Stitches and Mags would say different
<g>) Visualizing works better than pacing, terrain usually prevents using
pacing as a measuring tool.
Hiking distances are another matter, as you well know :O)
All your smelly business is supposed to happen at one corner of the
triangle.
TJ
"No matter where you go, there you are!"