From: <KarenS62@aol.com>
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] bear feeding

<<Bears love altitude, the best blueberries grow high, nut bearing trees
line the ridgelines, and those two legged creatures have made fine smelly
trails to follow. From Maine to the Smokys open mountain sides offer super
bear
watching. Bear bagging on a bald (or anywhere you don't find tall trees) has
it's own particular challenges. >>

Charles, not sure which Silar you are talking about, but since all the
shelters in the Smokies have the bear cables why wouldn't you use them?
FWIW, the only place I have seen bears while hiking is on the AT in the
Smokies and these ones were pretty habituated to people. There were stories
in the Silar Bald shelter register a couple years back of bears waiting for
hikers to get their stuff down from the bear cables, then charging them so
they drop the pack and run.

POG