FW: [at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Daniels [mailto:wdlists@optonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 11:51 PM
To: 'RoksnRoots@aol.com'
Subject: RE: [at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

Even without 9/11 we have had two major long term road closures on I287 in
White Plains and the Thruway just north of Rt 100 from propane truck
explosions. The are relatively easy to steal and perhaps the most dangerous
vehicles on the road. If I were in charge of security they would be my
number one suspicious vehicle beyond any doubt.

In terms of probability of problems with things crossing a bridge, hikers
would be in about last place, just ahead of birds flying over it.

Just like all other security efforts, the targets are picked for visibility,
low probability of complaint, and mostly as a sham show that they are out
there doing something. They also can't pick something that would cause a
traffic jam.