;-) (was) RE: [at-l] Pepper Spray

> Hey I just thought of something.  Carry pepperish
> sprays for animals, humans, and to season trail chili.
> Ought to be a great idea for lightweight hikers. ;-)

The major problem with that idea is the expense.  The capsicum in pepper
spray doesn't have any flavor either, it's just HOT!

> PS	Although, just out of curiosity, does anyone know
> what the difference is between peppers we eat and the
> "pepper" in Pepper spray?  Is it a matter of
> concentration or type of "peppers"?

It's the concentration and the quality.

> And could you make your own mix to "spray" on
> containers for non-bear country: In other
> words, could you boil up some real hot pepper sauce
> and coat some containers to keep out
> "meece" and such critters?

No, for two reasons.  One, capsicum isn't stable.  It breaks down quickly
and becomes ineffective once it hits the air.  Between 30 and 60 minutes
later, it isn't 'hot' at all.  Second, once it does break down, bears are
attracted to it like a day old tuna sandwich.  Not a good idea...

I have often thought of coming up with something that smelled or tasted
REALLY awful to bears and then putting that on food bags, or even around a
tent.  The problem with that is that it will smell and taste really awful to
humans too...

Shane