Oversold stories (was) RE: [at-l] Goretex - a scam?

greyowl wrote:
>Well actually a lot of those 'rescues' took place when?

Try the 60's and 70's - before synthetics were around for the companies to
invent the phrase.

>I cannot tell you how many soldiers served in the nasty Korean
>weather wearing nothing but cotton.  Cold and miserable yes,
>many die from hypothermia, no.

Uh-uh - I knew men who came out of the Hamhung Reservoir.  They were my
sargents - and my Captain - and my Colonel.  And the frozen bodies were
stacked like cordwood on the trucks that they kept running.  I spent long
hours watching combat films at the Marine Corps Library - Guadalcanal,
Tarawa, Korea, Nicaragua, others.

>I remember watching the
>frostbite film in Vietnam.  Everyone should watch the
>frostbite film, they would be better prepared to hike in cold
>places.  Every hiker should watch the cold weather training
>films that the army uses.

LOL!!!  Frostbite - in Vietnam ---- I love it.  And yeah - every hiker
really "should" watch those films.

>I spent the 60's, 70's and 80's
>hiking in cotton and I still wear cottom most of the time.
>If not it is coolmax.  The failure to probperly prepare for
>the weather will result in your death.  I remember that one
>from my preparation for Vietnam.  It applies to cold weather
>also.  to quote someone famous "Stupid is as stupid does".
>Stupidity still kills.

Wouldn't argue that.  But when I've got something available that's lighter,
more effective under a wider variety of conditions, and more comfortable
under extreme conditions, then I'll use it.  Nowadays, even the Army (and
Marine Corps) use synthetics - and internal frame packs - and water filters.
  But - what you use is ALWAYS "your" choice.  HYOH

Walk softly,
Jim