[at-l] Let's Get Stupid

> This will lead to three eventualities.  The first is actually the least
> desirable: That the environmentalists will win and preserve the planet for
> humanity.  Why is this undesirable?  Because then humanity becomes stable.
> Evolution does not progress.  We become, as a species, stagnant.
>
> The second option is that we resolve some of our issues and leave the womb
> of the Earth behind us and reach for the stars - where our mass consumption
> can continue unmolested.
>
> The third option is actually more desirable than the other two, and that is
> the mass collapse of the ecosystem that eliminates most of the life on the
> planet.  A comet strike, lots of volcanic activity, and a large scale
> thermonuclear war would also be acceptable for this purpose.  The forces of
> evolution will then, again, make something better - something better than
> us...
>
> So, you see, all this progress is actually good in the long run.
>
> Shane

	Why the assumption that the options are mutually exclusive? Could we
not, for example, have a situation in which the planet is preserved, and
mankind also expands to other worlds? Or one where a catastrophe
destroys the planet, but the race is still preserved among the stars?

	No need to limit your thinking, after all...

--

must preside at our assemblies.
	William O. Douglas

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com