[at-l] Here we go again -

  There was a thru hiker, from KY, and she found a tick on her yesterday as well.  It is really bad here in PA when they have to cross the tall grass in the Cumberland Valley fields.

It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for a walk in the woods.  The grass
was lush and green, the forest deep and dark, the wildlife plentiful - we
saw a great blue heron and 10 deer in the first 3 1/2 miles - then none
after that as we started seeing other hikers out enjoying the day.  Came
home late - wet and muddy and happy.  Doing a routine check, I discovered
that not all the spots on my body were mud droplets - one was a tiny little
critter that was firmly attached to my arm.  GRRRR!  I hate ticks!  I hate
spending days wondering if I'll develop a bullseye rash, whether I'll start
feeling pains in my joints and end up at some doctor's office explaining why
I want to be tested, even though the test is useless and treatment not
necessarily successful.  For all of our hiking, we rarely run into ticks.
When I was a kid and living in Texas and Arizona, they scared me silly, but
years of having dogs who loved to wander and bring home company just turned
the fear to disgust.  Now the fear is back, or at least, a lot more worry
than there used to be.  Chances are, the little monster didn't have time to
do any harm, and once again I'll be able to walk away unscathed.  But it is
a reminder that even something as simple as a walk in the woods can have
unexpected consequences.
Ginny