[at-l] Base Pack Weight

This has been a recent topic of discussion and I thought that
I would put in my  $0.02 in on the subject.  But First-losing
weight is a wonderful idea as your feet and knees well enjoy
it immensely.  You will notice the difference in these two
areas.  Unfortunately one still carries a backpack and it
puts pressure on the shoulders, back and hips.  Losing wiegh
doesn't help these areas.  Recently I started doing crunches
(i want to go from a bear keg bely to a six pack) and
discovered that I was also strengthing my back.  I was having
less back pain.

Back in the sixities I carried a pack the would have been
best described as a ruck sack.  Ruck sacks can be vewry
comfortable and carried one on day hikes for most of the 80's
and early nineties (it died in 1994).   But I put in it
approximately 40 lbs (I weight about about 140).  Then came
the aluminum external frame packs that were heavier, but one
could carry more weight.  I was up to sixity pounds.  Being
young and in good shape it did not bother me at all.  Of
course our big mile days were around 10 miles.

I still carry an old Jansport external frame back.  I like
the idea of being able to carry stuff lashed to the frame.
In winter I carry a 7 lb tent and a 5 lb sleeping bag, but my
total weigth is less than 35 lbs with three days of food (I
usually hike for only 3-4 days).  In summer I don't carry a
sleepin bag or a tent (I use a tarp) and with 5 days of food
I am under 30 lbs.  I am looking at a number of back packs
for future hiking that are a lot ligther.

Here is the trick.  What are you comfortable with?  Sparky,
for instance is in great shape and he can carry heavier loads
than I can.  This is great.  On longer hikes, especially if
one is doing big miles, a lighter load will make the hiking
easier.  Look at your equipment list carefully.  I always
look at posted equipment lists and question why people carry
some of the things that they do and why they don't carry
other things.  For instance the pepsi can stoves are all the
rage, but in the late fall, winter, and early spring give me
a white gas stove.  If you have someone with hypothermia you
want hot liquids fast and something that will generate a lot
of heat to help warm an individual up.

So what is trhe bottom line.  Get the equipmen, use it and
see how you like it.  Can it fit in your pack?  can you carry
the weight?  is it something that is a luxury and you really
don't need it? do you have a good first aid kit? and so on.
In the end the only person that is going to have to live out
of your pack and carry your pack is you so you better darn
will be comfortable with it.

Grey Owl