[at-l] RE: Another Q

Kelly wrote:
>In a message dated 7/13/2003 4:06:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > Heat - cold - wet - dry - if you're gonna thruhike, you need to learn to
> > deal with all of them.
> >

>You're right.  I'm just being a wimp.  I reckon I should put on a 30 pound
>pack and start doing a few day hikes.  I just needed a kick in the butt to
>get
>me going.
>
>NoMoreExcusesGoVols

Kelly -
Uh-uh - the word "wimp" doesn't apply.  That word is reserved for those who
quit at Neels Gap because they got a (one) blister - or because they don't
like not having their daily shower - or a few other "reasons."  What I'm
talking about is "developing an attitude".   You'll have to find your own
"attitude", but mine was that only death or dismemberment would stop me from
finishing the trail. That does NOT work for everyone.  Nor do I even
recommend it to others.  But it IS me - and it works for me.

Personally, I like Weary's attitude of curiosity about the trail and it's
surrounding areas.  He is not, of course, the originator of that idea
(Kestrel '92 - among many others both before and since - also had that
attitude), but he seems to be our resident expert on that particular
viewpoint. At least with regard to the AT.   Ginny and I did that on the CDT
- but that's not quite the same as doing it on the AT.

Have a good day - we couldn't go to PA for trail maintenance this weekend,
so we're going hiking.  It'll only be in the high 80's today (supposedly).
We'll see.
Jim

PS - don't start with a 30# pack - start with 10# and work up to 20-25.
Slowly.  Daily.  We don't want to lose you to any of the myriad
musculo-skeletal problems that happen to people who do too much too fast and
end up with so many medical bills that they don't have enough money to do
the trail.  <VBG>