[at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

But as previously mentioned there are a few hidden costs.
The biggie is medical costs.  If you have medical insurance
you may lose it or pay the whole amount.  I would highley
recommend that no one tries a thru hike without insurance.
Each persons cost will vary according to their needs.
Realistically one should not try to figure out there costs
based on miles, but on days.  I based my calculations on
spending every tenth day off the trail, but some one else may
decide that that is too long a stay between towns and opts
for every fifth or sixth day which would add another $1800 to
your costs.

Kelly, you are lucky because you have a couple of years to
plan your hike.  This is the oportunity to figure out your
costs and to start to collect gear.

Grey Owl