[at-l] Cost of a thru-hike?

These are my calculations for a thru hike.  I am assuming
that a thru will take me 180 days.  While on the trail I
figure $10/day which is $1800.  I would not be one for town
life, but you need to get off the trail, get clean, was some
clothes, have a pizza and a couple of beers.  I think that I
would do this once every 10 days or 18 times on my hike
@$100/day or $1800.  Next is the equipment.  I have been
slowly collecting mine through the years, but it would be
safe to say that an average cost (especially with the
technical wear) $1200.  Finally there is the transportation
thing.  For me it would be $0 as I have relatives at both
ends and I can drive to them  (O.K $100 for gas).  So my
total comes to $5000 (give or take a few dollars).  Yours may
be more or less depending on equipment, how much you want to
party in town, and how much your transportation costs are.

Grey Owl