[at-l] Learning from AT-L

    I just want to add my .02 cents worth on learning from the AT-L.

 I for one have found that there is no one way to hike and no one way to do something.  This list is absolutely great for asking questions, learning from others trip reports, and getting advice on gear.   I always run my gear purchase through the AT-L to get someone else's perspective and I have yet to get a non-reply or an opinion on the gear I was thinking of purchasing.  It has saved me time, weight (lord knows I need help there ) and most of all money!   A few things this board has helped me with specifically is:  Pepsi can stove and how to make them... I even had a lister send me one in the mail!  I in return sent some of the stoves I made to the people on this list who asked for them.  Head lamps.. I wanted a petzel but was talked into an Aurora.. and glad I was,  I was looking at a tent for Stick Dawg and me and someone suggested I look at Mt. Hardware, hammer head2,  the hammer head is due to arrive today :)  I got a cool fleece hat sent to me by a lister... I have received NUMEROUS tips of trail conditions, trail head parking, shelter information and terrain information.  All used to make my trips better.   I bought a dehydrator... asked the board for ideas of what to dehydrate for bp trips and the replies were out of this world.

  So I guess I am an optimist... I think this message board had given me much more good than the bad.   Are there other sites out there... sure.. www.whiteblaze.net  www.thebackpacker.com and www.trailjournals.com just to name a few.  But this is the one site where I find the people the most friendly and open to questions.  Not that the other are, but this feels like a campfire in my opinion.     Whiteblaze is strictly AT talk,  not a bad web site at all... the thebackpacker is a lot of fun and campfire chatter... not a bad web site either, I have a few friends there as well... but this site, IMHO,  seems to be able to balance what both those sites have to offer to make this the primary place that I want to come to.

  Just my two cents worth... to all those who helped me... THANKS!  To all you who sprinkled a little trail magic my way...THANKS!  To you newbee... ask a way... this is really a great place!

Sparky!