From: William Neal [mailto:nealb@midlandstech.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 11:00
To: 'greyowl@rcn.com'; AT-L List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Summer Sausage (was) RE: [at-l] food

I buy fresh stuff at the beginning of a section.  Or when I drop off the
trail to go to a local store.  If it is a real old-timey store, they often
will sell you things that most chains won't -- like sliced cheese and
bologna sandwiches when they are not an official restaurant and have that
special stamp.  I always eat those things right away.  And I save the camper
foods for later on.

In fact, I usually buy stuff that won't keep and have a "special" meal that
first night back on the trail.  Like 3 egg hash omlets.

William, The Turtle

3 Egg Hash Omlets

3 eggs (wrap in something sturdy)
1 can cornbeef Hash (and any other cooked or semi-cooked meats) or Bacon
Powdered milk (or can a small carton of whole milk or half-and-half)
Onions
Green Peppers
Catsup or Salsa

Fry the meats and remove from pan.

Quickly saute the onions and the peppers.  Then put aside.

Scramble eggs, adding the powdered milk plus some water. Or use the real
milk. Cook until set. Or make a real omlet.

Run a line through the eggs after they are set & add the other ingredients.
Then fold over.  Save the catsup/salsa for a topping.

Also, you can skip the folding-in and just scramble in the meat and other
ingredients.  Usually it's best to wait to add the stuff until the eggs are
at least partially set.