[at-l] food

">Avoid things like ramen noodles.  That's a personal choice, but the bulk for
">the calories isn't worth it."

>From a cost and calorie perspective ramen noodles are a pretty good deal. At 380
calories per three ounces, they have more calories per pound than generic rice
and most Lipton Dinners that I've done calculations for.

 I tend to buy them on sale for around 10 - 15 cents a package, or between 53
 and 80 cents per pound. Backpacking food doesn't get much cheaper than that.

 Eat nothing but Ramen and the food bill for a six month hike at two pounds per
 day comes to $292 at the high end of my purchase scale. I don't recommend an
 only Ramen diet, but other things like generic rice and generic pasta and
 generic oatmeal are equally cheap. Nutrition truly doesn't require an enormous
 expenditure for thru hikers on a tight budget.

  I don't worry much about bulk. My 20-year-old pack holds too much anyway.

 Weary