Gruitcake (was) RE: [at-l] food

Well I couldn't find any "Gruitcake" but Google says the address for Benson's Bakery (fruitcake and sourdough bread) is Elder St., Bogart, GA 30622. I don't know if that is the one you are referring to. There was a link to their website but all I got was a message that I wasn't authorized to access the site (???).

I think it was Ed Garvey who swore by Claxton Fruitcake as trail food. I remember selling Claxton Fruitcake as a fundraiser for our church when I was a teenager but I never ate the stuff.  Come to think of it they were just about the size and shape of a brick. They probably would have made good doorstops.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: William Neal
  To: 'Rlphjoh@aol.com' ; AT-L List (E-mail)
  Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:18 AM
  Subject: Gruitcake (was) RE: [at-l] food

  Try Benson's fruitcake.  You'll have to do a web-search for them.  At one time they were mostly fruitcakes-for-fund-raising.  And they made and sold some individual slices (I understand they don't do indy slices anymore).  But the cake was delicious.  More like a fruit and nut candy bar with a cake binder that was delicious.  Most fruitcakes are not even worthy of doorstop status, but this one is so delicious that if I find it -- it is now sold in stores -- before Christmas, I never have any on Christmas day.  This would be a great cake to take on the trail.

  William, The Turtle