Summer Sausage (was) RE: [at-l] food

Summer sausage is a great backpacking item.  But I would get the small ones
unless you are going to feed a hoard.  The big ones are messy and do not
last forever unless the wrapping is left unbroken.  Sooner or later they go
bad.  Sealed, they last and last and...: I once bought a lot of the big ones
for less than half the original cost and they lasted for months.  I even had
a friend cut some up and freeze them and seal them and mail drop them to me.
None went bad. But the small ones are handier.

William The Turtle

Chili
One small summer sausage cubed
Some chili powder and cummin
Some dehydrated onions
Some "instant" beans
Some tomato sauce powder or catsup or anything tomatoey
Some beer (optional)

Rehydrate the onions and beans

Fry the summer sausage a little

Put onions and beans into the sausage

Add the tomato stuff

Add water or beer or both and simmer.

Have some hush puppies, cornbread, etc. on the side or for crumbling in
bowl.